Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Brown Sugar

So when I heard the name of this place I kind of chuckled, since the place I had last heard the expression was the Dave Chappelle show...and hardly anything is 'appropriate' on that show.

Phyllis took a group of folks to Brown Sugar, which is in the Taipei 101 area. Its Taipei's (only) jazz club. My pretty much only live-jazz experience coming from Zanzibar Blue in Philly, I was definitely interested in hearing more (it helps that I can appreciate jazz)

Prices were reasonable, although the nachos we ordered were amusing... I bite into it, expected warm gooey cheesey goodness.... and its cold. It tastes alright, so I take a closer look at whats going on. I don't see any melted cheese... Upon closer inspection, our 'nachos' are DORITOS with sour cream, salsa, and jalapenos on them. Good ol' nacho cheesier, the stuff you packed in your lunchbox when you were a kid.

Anyhow, the music was nice, and the acoustics in the bar/lounge area were definitely nice. Helped that the house band and the singer they were accompanying were pretty good, in my opinion. (percussion had a solo.. he wasn't so great...) Good place to hang out, soak up some jazz, and chill. Definitely recommended if you have 1000NT to blow and a few hours on your hands and good friends to do it with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo dude...ashley and i will be in hk on the 21st of Aug. let's meet up sometime to talk about your semester at UST...